[ubuntu-studio-devel] US Wiki/ help regarding data protection

Set Hallstrom set at ubuntustudio.org
Tue Jun 21 17:15:42 UTC 2016

> On 2016-06-21 17:28, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:18:23 +0200, Set Sakrecoer wrote:
>
>> i'm hesitant about endorsing stuff that is out of our scope. Let me
>> think about it :)
>
> Recommending another distro for a special purpose should only be done,
> if somebody at least does use it regularly and knows more about this
> distro.

If feel like this too.

> However, I wouldn't either mention Windows 10, nor claim too much that
> Ubuntu is far away from being "not financed by selling your personal
> information to advertisers". The wording "personal information" is an
> elastic term. Ubuntu is not beyond dispute. Unlikely that Ubuntu sells
> data, but data is part of a business model that Ubuntu not completely
> rejects.
> The sentence "Because it is open, cares for freedom and strives for
> transparency, it's true that Ubuntu Studio offers better control over
> your privacy than proprietary operating systems usually do" is
> absolutely beyond dispute. Why mentioning advertisings at all?

You are probably right.

> You misunderstand my concern. You can't connect an USB stick, that was
> connected to a computer with Internet access, to the safe computer. You
> need always a brand new USB stick. There is no secure way to share
> data between those two computers. The only option is to carry over data
> from the safe computer, to the Internet computer. An USB stick that
> once was connected with any insecure machine cannot used again. An
> analogy: It's like buying a new car, as soon as the fuel tank is
> empty, instead of filling up the car's fuel tank.

I sure did misunderstand you.. sorry. I sure hope someone engaging in a
mission with that level of threat isn't relying on ubuntu studio.

So i'd put it this way:

> Because Ubuntu Studio is open, cares for freedom and strives for
> transparency, it's true that Ubuntu Studio offers
> better control over your privacy than proprietary operating systems
> usually do. Ubuntu Studio does not include software for encryption
> and/or anonymity, but you can and are free to install such tools.
> However, even when you use tools known to grant the strongest
> available privacy, there are still pitfalls.
>
> As soon as a computer is connected to the Internet, user errors and
> misunderstandings, can render even the strongest protections useless:
> Third parties not necessarily need to do something manipulative; a
> user's lack of knowledge can easily make sensitive information
> public, usage-patterns can easily make the origin of sensitive
> information identifiable and once such data is stored on the
> Internet, there's no way to control it.
>
> Journalists, activists or anybody else working with sensitive
> information should consider never connecting computers containing
>> such information to the Internet. Engaging in media production that
>> implies a high-level of threat is a very serious step that goes
>> beyond the scope and purpose of Ubuntu Studio. To learn more about
>> how to transfer sensitive information via Internet securely, you can
>> start here: https://freedom.press/digital-security

I trust the freedom of the press foundation because Edward Snowden is
part of the board.

--
Set Hallstrom aka sakrecoer