[ubuntu-studio-devel] US Wiki/ help regarding data protection

Set Sakrecoer set at ubuntustudio.org
Tue Jun 21 14:18:23 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-21 13:26, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 03:48:07 -0400, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:
>> IMHO, why wouldn't we recommend or endorse using Tails instead of
>> Ubuntu Studio in those circumstances? Tails include most of the
>> applications we do but are focused on security way more than we are.

I guess it would be good idea, although I think linking to something
broader like this kind of condensed documentation is enough really:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/surveillance although this specific one is
from 2013...

I'm in favor of inviting the users to reflect and document themselves,
i'm hesitant about endorsing stuff that is out of our scope. Let me
think about it :)

> I've
> once seen advertisements myself, when I set-up a MUA, perhaps it was
> Thunderbird, two ISPs advertised fee-based email accounts were
> recommended for usage by the set-up dialogue.

That is thunderbird, and it happens regardless what distrib you run it
on. But yeah, i was headbanging on the first row singing along in the
refrain when RMS kicked the classic "ubuntu-hate" smash hit at the
university of stockholm. Gotta have some self-distance to keep the mood
afloat in this world. ;)

> Actually there's just what IIRC Schneier does and what was pointed out
> by Luke regarding USB sticks and a computer that is and another
> computer that isn't connected to the Internet. I'm against
> recommendations that will cause e-waste, see
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=agbogbloshie+images ,

You could turn this the other way around, and think of a second computer
as a way to reduce waste: get one from the second-hand store, save it on
a waste-yard, repair your cousins broken one or simply do not throw that
"old" machine away...

Yours optimistically,

--
Set aka  ~sakrecoer