[ubuntu-studio-devel] Our Set of Freedesktop Categories, WAS:Re: Feature Definition Discussion: Multimedia Application Categorization

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Jun 23 10:32:01 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015, at 10:17 AM, Set Hallstrom wrote:

> On 2015-06-22 16:16, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > I had a go at updating this page to what seems appropriate right now
> > - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/FreedesktopCategories
> > It's all straight from the Freedesktop standard, except for a few
> > additions/changes.
>
> Good job!!
>

> > ## X-Typography
> >
> > Not put there by me, and since I don't know graphics very well I leave
> > it to Set to figure this one out :).
> >

> Gladly, :) but i'm unsure what you want me to figure out? The programs
> that suit in there? A definition? A description? Maybe i've missed
> something?

I just meant that you are better at deciding all of those things.

> On 2015-06-22 16:56, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > Also, I remember we were talking about Utility applications, but for
> > Audio or Video, or even Graphics.
>
> Maybe that is a good place for image viewers and fontmanagement
> software? I'd have to mind-dribble it a bit. But for the time being, my
> impression is that it would superfluous with a X-GraphicsUtility
> category.

Yes, I gathered as much. I will remove it, since I don't think anyone
actually asked to have it there.
For video I know a few applications that may be regarded as utility
applications, and not just system tools. So, I will keep that one for
now. For audio, I think it is clear that there are quite a few utility
type applications.