[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Definition Discussion: Multimedia Application Categorization

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Jun 16 09:44:50 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015, at 07:50 PM, Ross Gammon wrote:
> On 06/11/2015 07:01 PM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > I've actually been able to create new tables for the wiki, but haven't
> > published them yet. I started thinking more about how we do the actual
> > work, and I realized we will need bug reports for each desktop file that
> > needs to be changed. And, I wasn't sure from which end to start on this.
> >
> > This is my plan so far:
> >  * for each desktop file we have a work item in the blueprint to check
> >  if the freedesktop categories are correct
> >  * If categories were correct, mark that desktop file ok in the wiki
> >  page, and mark the work item done
> >  * If categories were not correct, report a bug in the Debian bug
> >  tracker and add the bug number to the wiki page
> >  * When a bug was fixed, mark the work item done, and mark that desktop
> >  file ok in the wiki page
>
> Do we want a test step to see how it looks on some desktops?

I will add testing the implementation to the documentation.

> > It would be nicer to use the launchpad bug tracker, but since we want to
> > do the fixes upstream it seemed to me it would be superfluous to also
> > have launchpad bugs.
>
> Well normally I prefer to have them tracked in both places. Then if
> Debian are slow to implement, it could be done in Ubuntu. In that case
> the Debian maintainer will have a bug, and an Ubuntu diff show up on the
> Package Tracker. It is reasonably easy to forward launchpad bugs to
> Debian. But you are probably right if there will be many.

Since as you point out, not all sources are covered by
debian-multimedia, we will not have access to those and need to rely on
other package maintainers. In this case we could decide to implement
changes in Ubuntu directly first, and then send patches upstream to
Debian.

> Will the wiki automatically strike-through when bugs are closed so we
> don't have to manually check? Is that possible for Launchpad bugs?

I'm sure it would be possible - by adding your own macro to the wiki
source (python code), but I am not aware of such an existing macro.
Launchpad bugs do interact with the blueprints though, and a workitem
that has a bug attached to it will automatically be marked done once the
bug is fixed. I am not aware of any functional interaction between
launchpad and the Debian bug tracker though, so that is why I find the
wiki the best place to do this.

> > I still would like to discuss this issue with debian-multimedia team
> > before we get going with the actual work. And, sorry for the delay.
>
> Good idea. It won't cover all the packages, but most of them.

Since this won't cover all the packages, we might find that we will need
to do changes in Ubuntu directly, in which case we would be using both
Ubuntu and Debian bug trackers. But, we are not there yet, so let's
decide when we cross that river.
Both bug links can be put in the same column in the wiki, if one wishes
to do so.

So, I'm adding another field for the bug link(s) and posting the tables
now.
Less packages now, since not all of them have desktop files.

Observe that I have changed the name of the pages:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Wily/FreedesktopCategories/Audio
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Wily/FreedesktopCategories/Graphics
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Wily/FreedesktopCategories/Video