[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Definition Discussion: Multimedia Application Categorization

Ross Gammon retail at the-gammons.net
Thu Jun 11 17:50:12 UTC 2015

On 06/11/2015 07:01 PM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> I've actually been able to create new tables for the wiki, but haven't
> published them yet. I started thinking more about how we do the actual
> work, and I realized we will need bug reports for each desktop file that
> needs to be changed. And, I wasn't sure from which end to start on this.
>
> This is my plan so far:
>  * for each desktop file we have a work item in the blueprint to check
>  if the freedesktop categories are correct
>  * If categories were correct, mark that desktop file ok in the wiki
>  page, and mark the work item done
>  * If categories were not correct, report a bug in the Debian bug
>  tracker and add the bug number to the wiki page
>  * When a bug was fixed, mark the work item done, and mark that desktop
>  file ok in the wiki page

Do we want a test step to see how it looks on some desktops?

> It would be nicer to use the launchpad bug tracker, but since we want to
> do the fixes upstream it seemed to me it would be superfluous to also
> have launchpad bugs.

Well normally I prefer to have them tracked in both places. Then if
Debian are slow to implement, it could be done in Ubuntu. In that case
the Debian maintainer will have a bug, and an Ubuntu diff show up on the
Package Tracker. It is reasonably easy to forward launchpad bugs to
Debian. But you are probably right if there will be many.

Will the wiki automatically strike-through when bugs are closed so we
don't have to manually check? Is that possible for Launchpad bugs?

> I still would like to discuss this issue with debian-multimedia team
> before we get going with the actual work. And, sorry for the delay.

Good idea. It won't cover all the packages, but most of them.

Cheers,

Ross