[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Freeze Coming up

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Wed Aug 19 21:08:07 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015, at 11:33 AM, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Feature Freeze is on Thursday. This means we can no longer just upload
> > > any changes we make to Wily, but uploads need to pass the archive
> > > admins.
> > >
> > > So, if you have any thoughts on changes that need to be done to Wily,
> > > please present them now.
> > >
> > > As I mentioned before I'd like to look into incorporating Plume
> Creator in
> > Ubuntu Studio, http://www.plume-creator.eu/. It is an application
> > dedicated
> > to writing; blog posts, novels, essays or reports.
> >
> > It is already in the repos and in Debian with the version 1 (0.67).
> > Version
> > 2 is under development and is a major re-write of all the code in Python.
> > I'm not sure about the targets for Ubuntu Studio, but in my mind creating
> > books or short stories are creative work and as such it could be argued
> > be included. If not, it is easily installed as it is in the repos.
>
> I don't remember if we talked about the category for this. It's not
> within audio, graphics or video, since it's about creating literature.
> I'm not against adding it, but we need to add a new spot for
> applications like this.
> It's put under the Debian section "editors", which doesn't exactly fully
> explain its use. Freedesktop category is "Office".
> It is more than a text editor. It's a sort of IDE for writing text. But,
> what to call this field?
>
> We don't have a meta package for this type. What would we call it?
>
> Exactly, we had some talk about whether it would fit into Publishing but
it might not be the best choice.

Publishing in Freedesktop category have this spec:

PublishingDesktop Publishing applications and Color Management toolsGraphics
or Office

and Office:

OfficeAn office type application

>From Additonal Categories (
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apas02.html) one could
use:

LiteratureLiterature softwareEducation or Science

or

TextEditorA text editorUtility

When I compare with Scrivener which is a similar application it only has
"Office" listed and it ends up in our Office menu when installed.

I think Literature would be somewhat appropriate, but then it was pointed
to main categories Education or Science, which to me seem a bit far fetched.

I'd go for Office as no better alternative seem to exist. That would put it
outside the Ubuntu Studio menu, I'm not sure if that's a problem?

/Jimmy