[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Freeze Coming up

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Aug 19 22:08:51 UTC 2015

On Wed, 19 Aug 2015, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:

>       > > As I mentioned before I'd like to look into incorporating Plume
>       Creator in
>       > Ubuntu Studio, http://www.plume-creator.eu/. It is an application
>       > dedicated
>       > to writing; blog posts, novels, essays or reports.
>
> Exactly, we had some talk about whether it would fit into Publishing but it might
> not be the best choice.
>
> Publishing in Freedesktop category have this spec:
>
> Publishing
> Desktop Publishing applications and Color Management tools
> Graphics or Office
>
> and Office:
>
> Office
> An office type application

> When I compare with Scrivener which is a similar application it only has "Office"
> listed and it ends up in our Office menu when installed.
>
> I think Literature would be somewhat appropriate, but then it was pointed to main
> categories Education or Science, which to me seem a bit far fetched.
>
> I'd go for Office as no better alternative seem to exist. That would put it
> outside the Ubuntu Studio menu, I'm not sure if that's a problem?

It doesn't have to be a problem. If it already fits in office we can just
include it. We can still have it in the publishing meta regardless. This
is what the publishing menu/meta was actually originally imagined to hold.
The only thing that has changed is that publishing as a word has been
found to be less than specific. However the idea of including Literature
creating tools is not out of line and with a push to use existing
Categories, Office is fine. I am sure many people will look there second
if not first.

www.ovenwerks.net