[ubuntu-studio-devel] Presentation, Set Hallstrom

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Apr 28 14:49:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015, at 03:26 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, Set Hallstrom wrote:
>
> > My name is Set. I am a 35 years young half-swede half-swiss happy human.
> > I speak French, Swedish, Spanish, German and English fluently but
> > unfortunately i spell non of them very good. My main fields of action
> > are music and graphics, having a master in graphic design from ECAV in
> > Switzerland. I have been involved in quite a few PR, A&R and HR
> > assignments, such as for night clubs in Barcelona, and RMLL (aka LSM
> > Libre Software Meetings). I also have a good deal of experience as
> > conflict solver and technical supporter.
> >
> > I'm interested in helping out and being a part of the dev crew.
> > Here is my CV:
> > http://set.hallstrom.ch

You are more then welcome to join developing Ubuntu Studio.

As Len said, we haven't had anyone knowledgeable in graphics for a good
long while, so there is lots of room for improvement in that area.

Currently, there is no plan at all for graphics. If you like, take a
look at the packages in the metas ubuntustudio-graphics and
ubuntustudio-font-meta to see what is relevant and what is not, and what
else we could include or do to make the graphics workflow better. It's
as good a place to start as any. If you come to any conclusions, or have
any questions, this mail list will do fine for now.

Development on the W release has not really started yet, so there's no
hurry in getting your tools set up, but eventually, you'll need to
install a development environment (15.10), no matter what kind of work
you will do. So, think about getting a workable system going which you
can have for the next 6 months until next release. A virtual machine is
fine, as long as you feel comfortable with it.

Aside from having installed a development release, you will need a
launchpad account, a gpg key and a ssh key. I've put together some
documentation on how to get all of this done here:
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/SetupDeveloperEnvironment.
You might not need git, so that part is up to you. But you will
eventually need bzr if you want to make hands on changes yourself.

If you have any questions, just ask and we will assist.

/Kaj