[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Introduce New Netinstall ISO

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jun 10 13:59:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 15:05 +0200, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> ubuntustudio-audio-core (includes jackd2, and a bunch of other core
>  components)

For many needs there likely is no noticeable real difference between
jackd and jackd2. I preferred jackd2 in the past, because it came with
an improvement regarding to MIDI jitter. However, I didn't make music
for a long time and during that time jackd and jackd2 seemingly have
improved a lot. IOW I don't know what current version from jackd/jackd2
is better for what needs, IMO there should be offered a choice, with an
explanation, that using jackd or jackd2 could make a difference. I hope
you make jackd2 with pulseaudio and or dbus a recommended and not a hard
dependency, assumed jack and jack dbus are separated packages. Regarding
to the policy that Ubuntu Studio by default seems to come with a
combination of jack + pulseaudio I won't add a comment, without
switching to sarcasm-mode. <sarcasm> Why only using 2 sound servers? Why
not making 4 or 6 sound servers the default? </sarcasm]. IMO it doesn't
make sense, there should be a clear definition what Ubuntu Studio wants
to support. Assumed Ubuntu Studio wants to be an audio distro, then
pulseaudio is an absolutely no-go. If you want to ship Ubuntu Studio
with the pulseaudio-jack combination add a note that Ubuntu Studio is
not an audio distro. This might sound harsh, but it's my deepest
believe, so I need to point this out.