Video players

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sun Jun 2 17:43:23 UTC 2013

One more thing about Xine: In a default install of Ubuntustudio, I was
able to play H264/mp4 video in Xine without installing extra codecs,
thanks to the ffmpeg version used.

If there is a policy that gstreamer-ffmpeg can't be shipped by default but
the underlying ffmpeg can be, that's inconsistant. I know that sort of
decision gets made upstream, but it creates a default install that
can't do it's default job if enforced strictly, due to the nature of current
cameras and audio recorders.

A multimedia distro without codecs can't play most media distributed by
windows users or commericial websites. Much more seriously, it also
can't play ORIGINAL media produced by a majority of midrange video
cameras and even audio recorders.