Publishing tool recommendations

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 12:37:47 UTC 2012

answering in line below

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Sat, July 21, 2012 5:18 am, C. F. Howlett wrote:
> >
> >>From my limited experience ...
> >
> > For Desktop Publishing, the premier FOSS app seems to be Scribus.
>
> There seem to be 3 packages of interest for Scribus. Aside from the
> application there is also a template package and a doc package. I am
> thinking that if we ship the App and make the other two easy to install.

+1

> > A FontManager for sorting, selecting, cataloging
>
> I am already suggesting a package for this.

len, perhaps i missed it; which application are you suggesting?

i looked at the application 'fontmanager' and i like it and wished i had
known about this perviously. until i can compare your suggestion, len,
fontmanager gets a +1 from me.

> > A FontForge for editing/CREATING fonts
>
> The only one in our repos seems to be fontforge, again I would install the
> app and make the doc and extras easy to install.

i know nothing about creating fonts so i abstain from commenting.

> > A color selection app
>
> I will quite freely admit my ignorance here... to my mind the first
> thought is that every app that uses colour has a colour selection utility.
> So you are obviously looking for something more. There are in the
> blueprints a number of items dealing with colour:

Agave is a colour selection applications that we have included in the past.

> ----------------------8<--------------------
> [ubuntustudio-dev] - color - consider replacing argyl with another
> application (ttoine wanted this): TODO
> [ubuntustudio-dev] - color - explore what vanilla ubuntu is using because
> gui is nice (ttoine again): TODO
> [ubuntustudio-dev] - color - gui would be nice for users (ttoine again):
> TODO
> [ubuntustudio-dev] - color - explore making a package for adobe icc (yep,
> i guessed it...ttoine): TODO
> ---------------------8<---------------------
>
> From the conversation I have seen to do with this I gather a lot of this
> stuff is to do with setting the monitor to reproduce colour correctly.
>

> > I have no website developing experience so can't speak to that ...
>
> Website development is a mess IMO. Much of the original intent of HTML has
> been lost. I use bluefish myself, or a text editor for minor fixes,
> because I want to see how much code I am cranking out.
> <rant>I like low bandwidth. I like self formatting code... I hate web
> pages that insist on using the browser full page to read everything
> without shifting the page left and right... oh and they expect you to have
> a monitor with the same rez as the webdeveloper (or his boss) has. Maximum
> webpage width should fit the width of a netbook anymore. </rant>
> <apologize for rant>
>
> Anyway, there are so many tools for generating HTML, I don't think it is
> worth including any. However, the graphics tools needed for DTP and
> included in our graphics section should cover everything up to the html
> generation part of things. We can suggest HTML editors to install ... Oh,
> we already include gedit ;-)

i agree that web development is a myriad of not only options, but also
opinions.

my suggestion is that we do not address this issue at this time and focus
on the things that we know for which we can make good and welcomed
decisions.