Menus

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Feb 21 06:24:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, February 20, 2012 6:58 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Has Brasero any advantages? Would it e.g. be easier to use it to "build"

Yes. It will deal with the toc files put out by ardour. K3b will not. We
actually tested this. The ideal solution would be to upgrade gcdmaster.
Both barsero and  K3b have their own tools to add audio files to a cd, but
they are not very good. Neither of them allow for auditioning or viewing
on a sample level to join audio files at zero crossing and continuous
slope as gcdmaster does. Ardour is far from perfect as well... it gets the
cuts right, but adds extra bits that need to be hand edited out of the
file in some cases. Frustrating to say the least.

> video media, perhaps one click and it converts video formats and burns
> standard media? If not I suggest to replace it with K3b. K3b sometimes
> is tricky, OTOH it can provide some advantages compared to simpler
> burning tools.

In truth, we were looking at a cd burner from a mostly audio perspective.
brasero and K3b seem to be the next best to gcdmaster that we could find.
(that we may have missed something is very possible) barsero was included
because it matches ardour and seemed a best replacement for gcdmaster.
However, if there is someone who is better versed in video production and
there are better tools for video burning, we would like to know. I don't
think there is good reason to rule out a second burner from the video menu
or as a main burner with brasero only in audio.

> FWIW I'm using burning tools, usually K3b, most of the
> times to burn Linux install media and to backup less important data. A
> burning tool IMO is something that belongs to the top of the menu, where
> are the entries
> Terminal Emulator
> File Manager
> Web Browser

Thats a hard one. only one of my computers even has a burner on it. I
don't do that much printing to cd/dvd. All of my iso testing/backup has
been using usb stick/drives. If there are lots of people who use it lots,
then it is trivial to add it there though.

www.OvenWerks.net