What Ubuntu should I install to help by testing

Scott Lavender scottalavender at gmail.com
Wed May 25 16:36:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Ralf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Hi Scott :)
>
> some minutes ago I installed the official Ubuntu Studio Natty 64-bit
> release and I will replace it by the daily image.

Any daily images built from this point forward will not be for Natty, but
for Oneiric, as Natty has reached the final release milestone.

Therefore, unless you plan to use Natty for purposes other than testing, I
would have waiting to install Oneiric from the Alpha1 release and bypasses
any Natty install completely.

I should note that some people prefer to test in VM.  I have a slightly
older machine that I use to test and do a full install on metal.  In this
case I don't mind installing over a previous testing installation and I
don't do this every day, just at each alpha, beta, rc  release and as needed
with the daily images to test if a fix is working correctly.

The Natty installer detected the correct keyboard, but for the GNOME
> session the keyboard setting is wrong. I can't get PPPoE to work.

I have no experience with modems unfortunately.

I didn't select the 2D/3D creation and editing suite, but Blender is
> installed, while I'm missing Gimp ;).
>
>  This is interesting and I will certainly test this during our first
Oneiric tests.

I'm not interested in solving this issues, but install the daily release
> instead, if I should run into the same issue there, then I'll try to
> solve them.
>
> > Hi Ralf,
> >
> > Please find the Oneiric Ocelot release schedule here:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricReleaseSchedule
> >
> > You can find the ISO images here:
> > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/daily/
>
> Daily releases for Oneirec testing are Natty releases from April? I
> guess it's the wrong link?
> >
> > And the QA testing images here:
> > http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/ubuntustudio/all
>
> I always do a manual partitioning, but I won't do partitioning
> experiments on my machine, sorry. Anyway, I would like to install and
> test, if you will send the correct link.
>
> Ralf, the QA link includes an optional test for manual partitioning.  You
can find it with the other tests under the two different architectures.  To
this point, this means there is not a "correct" link, there is only one
link.

I understand your concerns about partitioning. I would be willing to send
you a hard drive to install as a second drive upon which you could do test
installs as a compromise if you were willing.  I would understand if you
would not be.

> To be continued,
>
> Ralf

Thank you again for your help.