Bug triage report for 2021-01-11 (Tuesday triage)

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 12 15:18:19 UTC 2021

I replied in the bug.

My view:

1. It is common that a configuration change away from default requires
more than one configuration file to be changed so as not to break the
system. This is one of those cases. Another common case, for example, is
that having a service bind to an address often requires both the service
to be configured to do that, and the service definition in systemd to be
configured to now depend on the interface being configured. In general,
I don't think we can resolve these cases. In specific situations we
might be able to make the UX smoother. But in general, it's a required
part of operating a server that you change configuration in all the
places that it is required. None of this affects the use cases that we
support; this is only stipulating the correct method to configure your
server to achieve specific outcomes that remain supported.

2. Debian's policy, which we inherit, is that services should be
configured and running some sensible default in the common case, after
apt is finished. However, for automation, which is common now in the
server world, the policy provides a mechanism to prevent the start of a
service during package installation to allow for its configuration.
IMHO, all automation tooling should do this by default, and it's
generally incorrect not to do it if you're immediately going to
reconfigure and restart the service anyway.

Put these two things together, and I believe that the use case presented
is resolved, and there's therefore no bug. I asked in the bug for
confirmation.