server keeps updating openjdk

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:41:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM, Michael Zoet <Michael.Zoet at zoet.de> wrote:

> Am Di, 8.02.2011, 19:38 schrieb Tapas Mishra:
>>>
>> Michael thanks for your message.I do not want to do any more
>> experiment on my system.
>> I do have an old backup with all old copies which is about 15-20 days
>> old with an old kernel.
>> Right now every thing on my server is working perfectly fine.So I am
>> taking a strong backup right now.
>>
>> Though right now every thing is working very fine.So I do not have any
>> plans of any more upgrades.
>>  Will restoring the old backup make any sense for my case or should I
>> leave it at this stage.
>>

> Really no one can answer you that questions for you! It all depends on how
> you handle things. If you ask for my personal opinion: I would do
> everything to avoid a reinstall of a Unix/Linux server system, that is in
> production use. Even writing back old backups. Your problem with the dbus
> and kernel packages seems solvable for me. If your server works regardless
> of the package problems I would take the time to resolve these problems.
>
> I know you will try to ask me, what you can do ;-). When I have the time I
> will post you the corresponding "dpkg -i --forc-XYZ ..." command lines
> that might do the trick. But it might be faster if you read something
> about the package manager tools aptitude, apt-get and dpkg.
>
> Michael
>

> --
Ok I have posted this problem here
and followed completely
seems it has worked.
Waiting for the last messages.
This seems to be a bug in in dbus as explained here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dbus/+bug/552404
and a patch here
https://launchpad.net/~ts.sch.gr/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1450007/+listing-archive-extra
but in the patch which one should I install I am not clear with that part.

What I did to solve this is

Looking at dbus.postinst, commented

/var/lib/dpkg/info/dbus.postinst
 following 2 lines

 dbus-uuidgen --ensure

  dbus-send --print-reply --system --type=method_call \
                --dest=org.freedesktop.DBus \
                / org.freedesktop.DBus.ReloadConfig > /dev/null

and then dpkg-configure -a
and aptitude safe-upgrade has gone without any errors.

It seems a bug in dbus script which is on Lucid 10.04 server editions
luckily has been fixed.