Ubuntu server and cloud IRC consolidation

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Aug 12 15:13:08 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:02:05 pm Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 11, 2010 04:21:36 pm Dustin Kirkland wrote:

> >> Scott,
> >>
> >> I don't think anything really changes in #ubuntu-server, from a
> >> development discussion perspective.  There's plenty of
> >> development-related conversations that will continue in
> >> #ubuntu-server, perfectly on-topic.  No one is getting kicked/banned
> >> from there, and no one should get slapped on the wrist for talking
> >> devel (in my opinion).
> >>
> >> I read Ahmed's proposition to really be about consolidating
> >> cloud/virt/ensemble/ec2 channels into one -- simplifying the landscape
> >> for those of us subscribed to all 4 and unraveling the maze for our
> >> users seeking cloud-related support.
> >>
> >> The previous recent discussion you refer to, I think, was about
> >> splitting #ubuntu-server and #ubuntu-server-devel.  As I remember it,
> >> we, as a community, n'acked the creation/separation to
> >> #ubuntu-server-devel, as we didn't want to divorce ourselves from our
> >> user support channel.  I still agree with that sentiment, and I think
> >> that's unchanged even in Ahmed's IRC realignment suggestion.
> >
> > Then I'm a little unclear what Mathiaz' point #1 is about then.
> >  "Development discussion happens in #ubuntu-devel" seems pretty clear to
> > me.
>
> I think it's pretty clear, and 100% true.  Development discussion
> does, in fact, happen in #ubuntu-devel.
>
> I haven't seen anything forbidding development discussion happening in
> #ubuntu-server.
>
> Have you gotten that impression?  Does the above policy deserve some
> clarification?  Perhaps that "general" Ubuntu development discussion
> should land in #ubuntu-devel, while Server-specific development
> discussion is encouraged (or belongs) in #ubuntu-server.  That's just
> status quo, as far as I'm concerned, though.

I did get that impression based on the complete lack of mention of development
discussion in the #ubuntu-server description and it being mentioned in
#ubuntu-devel.

When discussing Ubuntu Server development, I don't think #ubuntu-devel even
needs a mention as that's not where Ubuntu Server development discussions are
supposed (as I (and apparently you) understand it).

I'm not sure if it was intended to change the status quo or not, but as
written it certainly appears to me that it does.

Scott K