Please review and advocate 389-directory-server (a successor of LDAP) related packages in REVU so that 389 can make it into Karmic

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 22 15:11:05 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Victor Hugo dos
Santos<listas.vhs at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Mathias Gug<mathiaz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>>> outside this commentary, I agree que FDS is a better solution for
>>> manager LDAP/OpenLDAP structure.
>>
>> Could you be more specific about the advantages of 389 directory over openldap?
>>
>> One of the best ldap server (openldap) is already available in the
>> archive and I was wondering what are the advantages of having another
>> full-blown ldap server to maintain in addition to openldap?
>
> mmm.. I believe that the principal characteristic or advantage of 389,
> is the multi-master replication...
> this is a big advantage in high-available infrastructures.

As far as I can tell openldap support multi-master since 2.4:

OpenLDAP 2.4 has support for multi-master replication using syncrepl.

> Further, most administrators have one or various front-end for
> administer the LDAP tree. In this case, the GUI is part official of
> project.

Agreed. This user admin interface is based on java servlets and
requires tomcat to run IIRC. There are other alternatives such Apache
Directory Studio though.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com