Please review and advocate 389-directory-server (a successor of LDAP) related packages in REVU so that 389 can make it into Karmic

Benoit des Ligneris benoit.des.ligneris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 17:29:51 UTC 2009

Hello,

Well, multi-master has its own drawbacks :
http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-zeilenga-ldup-harmful-02.txt

Or, for a more balanced view ? :
http://www.openrowley.com/2006/10/05/is-multi-master-replication-really-harmful/

So, in practice, for large-scale deployment, with lots of writes/updates
(and this is not the typical usage of a directory : 99% read and 1% write)
then multi-master has some limitations intrinsic to the functions itself. As
a consequence, most of the writes are then done on one single
directory that is replicated. In several particular context (we are working
a lot with school districts) every new school year : 10-20% of accounts
are deleted and 10-20% created and most of the groups updated : multi-master
will not help during the august-september period. After this period,
the directory can be considered read-only (in fact, most of the services
used read-only openLDAP replicas).

If the directory content is fairly static then having this feature is really
cool. This is not integrated "out of the box" in openLDAP but it is almost
there :
 promoting a new master is easy to automatize and, from a user experience,
it provides a functionnality very similar to the "intrinsic" multi-master
capacity of 389.

Ben
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Victor Hugo dos Santos <
listas.vhs at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Mathias Gug<mathiaz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Hi Victor,
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Victor Hugo dos
> > Santos<listas.vhs at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Kai-Cheung
> >> Leung<kcleung at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> outside this commentary, I agree que FDS is a better solution for
> >> manager LDAP/OpenLDAP structure.
> >
> > Could you be more specific about the advantages of 389 directory over
> openldap?
> >
> > One of the best ldap server (openldap) is already available in the
> > archive and I was wondering what are the advantages of having another
> > full-blown ldap server to maintain in addition to openldap?
>
> mmm.. I believe that the principal characteristic or advantage of 389,
> is the multi-master replication...
> this is a big advantage in high-available infrastructures.
>
> Further, most administrators have one or various front-end for
> administer the LDAP tree. In this case, the GUI is part official of
> project.
>
> bye

> Victor Hugo dos Santos
> Linux Counter #224399