KVM host restarts when loading the guest os

James Dinkel jdinkel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 13:22:21 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Jovan Kostovski <chombium at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup KVM virtualization on my laptop  (Dell Inspiron
> 1526 - AMD Trurion 64 TL60 with 2GB ram).
> I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty desktop.
>
> I would try creating the virtual machine through libvirt.  If you create it
with virt-install, be sure to use the --os-type=linux and
--os-variant=ubuntuJaunty so things like virtio and acpi get set correctly.

Unless you are specifically wanting to get comfortable with kvm though (such
as learning it so you can transfer you knowledge to a server setup), I would
suggest Sun's VirtualBox on desktop/laptop installs.  That is how I do it -
kvm with libvirt on the servers and virtualbox on desktops/laptops.

Brazen