KVM host restarts when loading the guest os

Jovan Kostovski chombium at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:05:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to setup KVM virtualization on my laptop  (Dell Inspiron
1526 - AMD Trurion 64 TL60 with 2GB ram).
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 jaunty desktop.

I tested with the latest official releases from the repositroies kenel
2.6.28-13 and kvm-84.
Whenever I try to start a virtual machine the host restarts when the
or the CPU usage rises to 100% and the host machine freezes.

When I try to start the virtual machine with --no-kvm switch it works normally.

The command lines that I use for starting the virtual macine are:
kvm -hda jaunty-server.img -cdrom /dev/sr0 -boot d
kvm -hda jaunty-server.img -cdrom /dev/sr0 -boot d --no-kvm

I've checked the logs and dmesg but there isn't any useful
information, just  loading kvm kernel
module and enable/disable virtualization on cpu.

I would appreciate if someone could help me debug/solve this problem.

BR, Jovan