openvz kernel wih lucid?

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 10 12:29:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 12:34:14PM +0100, tom wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.12.2009, 11:44 +0100 schrieb Soren Hansen:
>> Very unlikely. We are, however, working on getting really good LXC
>> (the container technology in the upstream linux kernel) support in
>> Lucid.
> What means "really good LXC ... support" ?
> - will LXC be in main or universe?

LXC is in the kernel, so it's naturally in main. Libvirt will very
likely be the primary way to manage LXC containers, and libvirt is also
in main.

> - What about Documentation? I can not find any wikipage on
> wiki.ubuntu.com or help.ubuntu.com

I personally haven't worked on documentation at all yet, and I probably
wont for a while. We need all the help we can get writing documentation.

> - what about templates? is it easy to create a new container?

VMBuilder will be able to create containers.

> - is it possible to use other distros as containers?

Depends on the the other distro, really.

> - is it actually possible to tryout LXC with karmic? or do i need lucid
> as hostsystem?

There are (were?) a few bugs in libvirt making this rather difficult,
but they are being fixed (have been fixed?), so

--
Soren Hansen                 |
Lead virtualisation engineer | Ubuntu Server Team