openvz kernel wih lucid?

Jean-Michel Dault jmdault at revolutionlinux.com
Wed Dec 9 15:52:56 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 11:11 +0100, tom wrote:
> i use openvz with ubuntu 8.04 (LTS) on my server.
> All the newer releases have no openvz kernel.
> Will be openvz available with ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)?

LXC will be by default in Lucid. Here's a nice page from one of my
colleagues that explains how to do it:
http://stgraber.org/category/lxc

> The problem is, that i can not use ubuntu karmic in the container (see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/484240 ) so i have
> to update the host system but there is no openvz kernel available.

We have the same problem here, even with LXC. There's a problem with
init in Karmic. If you chroot in /var/lib/vz/<context> and do an apt
dist-upgrade on the current Lucid packages, it should work, at least for
testing purposes.

If you need stable containers, use a Hardy guest.