8.04-1 won't boot from degraded raid

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Sun Aug 24 00:32:03 UTC 2008

Michael Hipp wrote:
> I just loaded a small LAN server with 8.04-1 server. It has two identical disks
> in a RAID1 configuration. Works great as long as both disks are online. But if
> I disconnect either disk it drops into a BusyBox shell and tells me that my
> RAID is degraded and I can boot from it if only I will type mdadm -R /dev/md0.
> But that command does nothing toward getting it to boot.
>
> Why is it doing this? Can I somehow make this thing boot automatically even if
> degraded?

Hello Michael,

Thanks for reporting your concerns about this. Fortunately, this is
currently being addressed and you'll be able to read a bit more about on
Dustin's blog at [1], as he is currently finalizing a solution for intrepid.

Please feel free to try it out and report any issues or suggestions you
may have.

[1]
http://dustinkirkland.wordpress.com/2008/08/05/booting-degraded-raid-in-ubuntu-intrepid/

Nick