8.04-1 won't boot from degraded raid

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Sat Aug 23 21:19:33 UTC 2008

I just loaded a small LAN server with 8.04-1 server. It has two identical disks
in a RAID1 configuration. Works great as long as both disks are online. But if
I disconnect either disk it drops into a BusyBox shell and tells me that my
RAID is degraded and I can boot from it if only I will type mdadm -R /dev/md0.
But that command does nothing toward getting it to boot.

Why is it doing this? Can I somehow make this thing boot automatically even if
degraded?

(If I didn't want it to boot anyways I wouldn't have installed RAID.)

Michael