8.04-1 won't boot from degraded raid

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Mon Aug 25 13:53:42 UTC 2008

Nick Barcet wrote:
> Michael Hipp wrote:
>> I just loaded a small LAN server with 8.04-1 server. It has two identical disks
>> in a RAID1 configuration. Works great as long as both disks are online. But if
>> I disconnect either disk it drops into a BusyBox shell and tells me that my
>> RAID is degraded and I can boot from it if only I will type mdadm -R /dev/md0.
>> But that command does nothing toward getting it to boot.
>>
>> Why is it doing this? Can I somehow make this thing boot automatically even if
>> degraded?
>
> Hello Michael,
>
> Thanks for reporting your concerns about this. Fortunately, this is
> currently being addressed and you'll be able to read a bit more about on
> Dustin's blog at [1], as he is currently finalizing a solution for intrepid.
>
> Please feel free to try it out and report any issues or suggestions you
> may have.
>
> [1]
> http://dustinkirkland.wordpress.com/2008/08/05/booting-degraded-raid-in-ubuntu-intrepid/

Well I tried both the fixes in that blog post and neither of them work. It just
drops into the BusyBox shell. No apparent behavior change.

Does someone know of a fix that works?

But I've run out of time to debug this problem I'm going to have to deliver
this server in a broken state and with a RAID that isn't.

Thanks,
Michael