server setup+gui help needed

Amarendra Kumar er.amar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 04:09:52 UTC 2008

I am setting up a wireless LAN in my class LAB. around 10-15 comps. We
have got one HP workstation and an IBM Blade server too. However we
shall install Linux server(I have an Ubuntu Hardy Server CD) on the HP
workstation and then network all the systems wireless. We also plan to
enable Internet access and data access from all other computers (and
even from laptops brought students) by using an USER-ID and password
assigned to them.
Any system can access any system's data in the WLAN on the basis of USER
permissions including workstation. Shall we have to make more servers or
all the systems will also have to act as servers for this purpose?
Remember the other systems may have other OSs as well like XP,Vista and
different Linux distros.
Please reply if you can find time, or suggest some useful links(near the
point).
Please at least tell us the task list so that we will search how to do
it from Internet.
i will explain again
i want a GUI for this server. I am a linux newbie. So, I need it. I
installed it and after tht I was clueless what to do. I have to install
Ubuntu Server on a HP workstation in my college's IT Lab and then network
the lab which is already wi-fi. All the systems have wireless cards. first
we will try with 2-3 systems only and that HP workstation.
shall i need to put the Gnome or whatever from another source or that is
already in the CD and hence is on the Hard disk ..if yes then how?
How shall i know that the wi-fi internet available in the lab is being
accessed by the worksstation after that server install?

in such matters a gui will help

--
Amarendra Kumar
Dept. of IT , NIT Patna