Let's get back to work. Re: Ubuntu is ***** nothing

Loye Young loye.young at iycc.net
Thu Oct 25 18:00:30 UTC 2007

Folks, we have a lot to do. Let's move on and build something.

Nay Myo Win said:
>sorry if i bother u. i wanna see newbie ubuntu as a successful Linux.
<snip>
>but it won't boot from CD rom
>all files are complete not corrupted

NMW -- Some CD drives (and the legacy Windows operating system that runs them)
are not standards-compliant. Consequently, densely compressed images
sometimes don't burn perfectly, and the downloaded .iso sometimes needs to be
reburned. The downloaded CD uses a compression algorythm that maximizes the
amount of software that can be loaded on the CD, but the higher compression
makes it more likely that a mistake will occur when burning the CD. It's a
tradeoff, because if another compression algorhythm is used, you don't get as
much software to fit on the CD.

To verify the CD, first check the MD5 sum of the .iso image. If the ISO has a
correct MD5, you can be confident that the download was good. To verify the
burn of the CD, insert the CD and reboot into the Ubuntu CD (make sure your
BIOS is set to boot from the CD). When you get to the first screen, there is
an option to test the CD (I forget the exact wording). Run that routine. If
it fails, the burn of the CD was bad. Burn the image again, using another CD.
I myself have the same trouble from time to time, so don't get discouraged.

It is possible to skip the burning of the CD, by mounting the .iso to a
partition on the hard drive, and then booting to that partition, but that is
a relatively complex technique that requires more command line familiarity
than you have right now.

So far, no one has built a perfect company, organization, computer, or
operating system. As a wise man once said,

"Computers suck. Computers running Linux suck less."