Debian release date and Debian Import Freeze

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Wed May 31 01:14:27 UTC 2023

On Sat, 27 May 2023 at 04:16, Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for raising this valid concern.
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 12:47:23PM +1200, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> > Debian bookworm is scheduled to be released on June 10. Debian Import
> > Freeze is currently scheduled for about six weeks later, on August 17. Do
> > we want to shut off debian imports early, basically as soon as bookworm
> > releases, to avoid having all our work overwhelmed by a bunch of
> > transitions in Debian?
>
> In addition to the counterpoints raised by Jeremy and Seb, I'd point out
> that moving up the Debian import freeze would also be an obstacle to
> landing
> the 64-bit time_t migration this cycle, which I think we definitely want to
> do in 23.10, not in 24.04.

Ah we are going to try that for 24.04 are we? Somehow I had the feeling we
were going to be more cautious. But I think it's probably a good idea to
get it over with.

Do you think the necessary people are convinced on the Debian side to land
this early in trixie or is there still more arguing to be done there?

Cheers,
mwh