Debian release date and Debian Import Freeze

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri May 26 16:15:47 UTC 2023

Thanks for raising this valid concern.

On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 12:47:23PM +1200, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> Debian bookworm is scheduled to be released on June 10. Debian Import
> Freeze is currently scheduled for about six weeks later, on August 17. Do
> we want to shut off debian imports early, basically as soon as bookworm
> releases, to avoid having all our work overwhelmed by a bunch of
> transitions in Debian?

In addition to the counterpoints raised by Jeremy and Seb, I'd point out
that moving up the Debian import freeze would also be an obstacle to landing
the 64-bit time_t migration this cycle, which I think we definitely want to
do in 23.10, not in 24.04.

So I think we should keep the schedule as-is.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/