16.04.2 delayed until Feb 9 for HWE issues

Adam Conrad adconrad at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 31 19:23:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 11:17:24AM -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> Hi Adam (and the Release Team),
> We would like to formally request an extension for 16.04.2's release.  We have
> just identified a serious boot regression on arm64.  The resolution looks to
> require landing changes to the kernel, flash-kernel, and possibly d-i.  While

For those following along at home, I've been watching this, and I'll make
sure these bits are reviewed and land in a timely fashion.

> we can likely physically get those changes into the archive in time for the
> release, there would be next to no time to test this nor provide appropriate
> regression testing on other platforms. We would be much more comfortable giving
> that some proper testing before releasing and therefore would like to request
> an additional extension for the point release date.  Thoughts?  We will honor
> whatever guidance we receive from you.

I'm a big fan of caution when it comes to the bits that make people's
computers either boot or completely fail to, as it's pretty hard to fix
boot errors after shipping them.  So, yes, a delay for a week while all
this is landed and tested seems entirely reasonable to me.  Will push
the release to Feb 9 instead.

... Adam

More information about the Ubuntu-release mailing list