Unreviewed SRUs

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at canonical.com
Sat Dec 8 02:56:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 03:37:08AM -0700, Adam Conrad wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 01:07:19AM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > As a further update, I've removed precise/quantal SRUs for walinuxagent
> > tonight due to private bug references in debian/changelog.  One of these had
> > been accepted by the same individual.

> As the guy who accepted the precise one, I'd like to point out that, while
> private bug refs that are the ONLY reference to a bug are clearly something
> we don't want, in this case it was a dupe in the raring changelog along the
> lines of:

> New upstream (LP: #public, #private)

> I'm not sure this is worth revising history to edit out, when it's fairly
> clear this was covered just as well by the public dupe as the private.

When Scott and I were discussing this, I completely overlooked the fact that
the changelog clearly showed the private bug had a corresponding public bug
next to it.  So I agree that it's ok that this has been published now.

In terms of how this *should* happen, though, there were two issues with
this particular SRU that contributed to the confusion:

 - The changelog of the SRU was based on the changelog of the raring
   version.  We don't want this, even when a -v option is passed to debuild;
   it leads to a confusing display for users when the update is presented.
   The changelog should be condensed into a single entry.
 - Private bugs gum up the SRU process.  They can't be properly verified,
   and SRU team members may not be able to access them at all.

While in this case it was ultimately ok to push these SRUs through without
having to start over, even in the best case scenario private bugs in SRUs
make trouble and we should try to be careful not to let them into the queue.
I've adjusted the wiki documentation to explicitly call this out for SRU
submitters.