replacing the Startup Disk Creator

chris hermansen clhermansen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 03:28:11 UTC 2015

Good evening Nio, list,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Nio Wiklund <nio.wiklund at gmail.com> wrote:

> Den 2015-09-25 kl. 23:48, skrev chris hermansen:
> > Flocculant and list,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM, <flocculant at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > [stuff deleted]
> >

> >> For the record - I've given up using anything but gnome-disks. Which
> gives
> >> me a working tool each and everytime, from wherever and for whatever - I
> >> have had problems with other apps/coomands of one sort of the other
> since
> >> ~2009
> >>

> > Not sure which tool you mean by "gnome-disks".  There is
> > gnome-disk-utility...?
> >
> > Anyway, I tried using that to create a bootable USB disk from the wily
> .img
> > file I had.  It ran to completion without error, but the disk wouldn't
> > boot; all I saw was a flashing cursor.  As far as I can tell I followed a
> > reasonable procedure e.g.
> >
> http://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-make-a-live-usb-stick-using-gnome-disks/
> >
> > In sum, so far only unetbootin is doing the job for me.
>
> Hi again Chris,
>
> When I read your message above I had to test the amd64 system. I
> installed Lubuntu Wily beta 2 into an SSD (an installed system).
>
> A. the Startup Disk Creator
>
> 1. From that system I used the SDC to install from a file that I tested
> some time ago
>
> ubuntu-wily-alternate-amd64.iso (standard Ubuntu)
>
> into a pendrive, and the pendrive works. It is not affected by this bug.
> That iso file is dated August 5.
>
> 2. After that I downloaded the beta 2 version of
> ubuntu-wily-alternate-amd64.iso and used the SDC to install it into a
> pendrive. It is affected by this bug. So this bug seems to have appeared
> after August 5.

Hmm that's interesting.  I guess I could try to find an older wily image
and burn it with 15.04...

> B. Cloning
>
> 1. I tried mkusb, to make a live-only system (cloning), so at least in
> principle it is doing the same thing as gnome-disks alias 'Disks'. mkusb
> works, can create a working pendrive also from a Wily beta 2 amd64 iso
> file.

Ok.

> 2. Finally I tried gnome-disks. The terminology is a little funny. You
> should 'restore', as if you had created the iso file by making an image
> of the pendrive. Anyway, cloning with gnome-disks works for me also in
> this case.

I did a restore (note I am assuming that the version of gnome-disk-utility
is the same thing as what you refer to as gnome-disks, which I can't find
that in the Ubuntu Software Centre).

The help-about on gnome-disk-utility says

gnome-disk-utility 3.14.0
UDisks 2.1.5 (built against 2.1.4)

> *. You wrote .img file. What file is that? Do you mean an iso file, or
> is it some special kind of image file, maybe an image for another
> computer architecture?

Sorry my mistake.  The file I burned, which would not subsequently boot,
was wily-desktop-amd64.iso dated 23 September.

I have another unrelated project with a Debian based distro called Volumio
going on and it labels its files ".img".  A senior moment I guess!

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.