replacing the Startup Disk Creator

Nio Wiklund nio.wiklund at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 00:05:22 UTC 2015

Den 2015-09-25 kl. 23:48, skrev chris hermansen:
> Flocculant and list,
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM, <flocculant at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [stuff deleted]
>

>> For the record - I've given up using anything but gnome-disks. Which gives
>> me a working tool each and everytime, from wherever and for whatever - I
>> have had problems with other apps/coomands of one sort of the other since
>> ~2009
>>

> Not sure which tool you mean by "gnome-disks".  There is
> gnome-disk-utility...?
>
> Anyway, I tried using that to create a bootable USB disk from the wily .img
> file I had.  It ran to completion without error, but the disk wouldn't
> boot; all I saw was a flashing cursor.  As far as I can tell I followed a
> reasonable procedure e.g.
> http://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-make-a-live-usb-stick-using-gnome-disks/
>
> In sum, so far only unetbootin is doing the job for me.

Hi again Chris,

When I read your message above I had to test the amd64 system. I
installed Lubuntu Wily beta 2 into an SSD (an installed system).

A. the Startup Disk Creator

1. From that system I used the SDC to install from a file that I tested
some time ago

ubuntu-wily-alternate-amd64.iso (standard Ubuntu)

into a pendrive, and the pendrive works. It is not affected by this bug.
That iso file is dated August 5.

2. After that I downloaded the beta 2 version of
ubuntu-wily-alternate-amd64.iso and used the SDC to install it into a
pendrive. It is affected by this bug. So this bug seems to have appeared
after August 5.

B. Cloning

1. I tried mkusb, to make a live-only system (cloning), so at least in
principle it is doing the same thing as gnome-disks alias 'Disks'. mkusb
works, can create a working pendrive also from a Wily beta 2 amd64 iso
file.

2. Finally I tried gnome-disks. The terminology is a little funny. You
should 'restore', as if you had created the iso file by making an image
of the pendrive. Anyway, cloning with gnome-disks works for me also in
this case.

*. You wrote .img file. What file is that? Do you mean an iso file, or
is it some special kind of image file, maybe an image for another
computer architecture?

Best regards
Nio