UDS:R -- the story so far

Jeff Lane jeffrey.lane at canonical.com
Thu Nov 1 14:28:14 UTC 2012

On 11/01/2012 03:14 PM, chris hermansen wrote:
> For instance, I think it's important to have the webcam, multimedia
> buttons, etc working but I'd far sooner give them up and not have
> Unity-LibreOffice integration broken the way it is in 12.10.  I think
> the reason we have a lot of working webcams in 12.10 and not so many
> working LibreOffices is because the test cases for LibreOffice don't
> currently go deeply enough.

If you're interested in testing hardware related items like the webcam,
hotkeys, audio, etc, you should look at Checkbox[1] and the tests it
provides.

You can run it in an Ubuntu Friendly[2] context from the dash by
searching for "Ubuntu Friendly" and clicking on the "System Testing" icon.

For the curious, the test cases are defined in job files located in
/usr/share/checkbox/jobs in plain text.  These jobs include manual
tests, automated tests, and tests that are a combination of both (for
example, launching a program and asking the tester to confirm the result).

The scripts that do the actual testing can be found in
/usr/share/checkbox/scripts.  Scripts can be in virtually any language,
though we generally prefer shell or python to keep the code base
somewhat homogenous.

For Ubuntu Friendly, the tests that are run are contained in a file
called /usr/share/checkbox/data/whitelists/default.whitelist

We use this same tool and these same scripts for Ubuntu Hardware
Certification.

And, Checkbox is installed on EVERY Ubuntu Desktop install there is (Not
in the [X,K,L,Ed,*]ubuntus though :(  ) as it is part of the default
installation and lives in Main.

Checkbox is also an open project so anyone is welcome to submit patches,
new tests, improve the existing tests, etc.

Happy Testing ;-)

Jeff

[1]http://launchpad.net/checkbox
[2]http://friendly.ubuntu.com

--
Jeff Lane - Hardware Certification Engineer and Test Tools Developer
Ubuntu Ham: W4KDH