Future of Ubuntu QA team in Launchpad

Shane Fagan shanepatrickfagan at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 21 13:06:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 13:56 +0100, Ara Pulido wrote:
> On 01/21/2010 04:56 AM, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> >
> > I agree with both Shane and Sense, the idea behind the Ubuntu QA team
> > (as in, the Launchpad team) was to more clearly represent these who made
> > major contributions to one of the sub-teams (testing, bugsquad,
> > bugcontrol), helps managing that community (ISO testing, bug triaging,
> > automation, ...) and is often present on IRC, ML and during the meetings
> > to discuss QA issues.
>
> I understand your point, Stéphane, but what you propose would be ideal,
> if the QA team, as a whole, reaches a level of matureness that I think
> it has not.
>
> Right now, this team, as it is, is not maintained. There is a queue of
> 28 people to enter the team, and no answers on why they have been
> accepted or rejected. Also, most of the team members were accepted
> during the first month of this team's life, after that, membership
> management hasn't exist.
>
> Ideally, this team could be a good thing, but the truth is that, right
> now, we don't have a group of people committed to tools and processes
> that justify the moderation.
>
> I think that it would be better to open the team and try to get as many
> people as possible. If, in the end, this team appears naturally, with a
> group of committed people who want to do more (get a presence in the
> Technical Board, share tools, etc.) we can then create a team of "Ubuntu
> QA Admin" (or whatever is called) when we reach that point.
>
> But that's just my opinion, of course.
>
> Cheers,
> Ara.

Well if you need moderation I can help pitch in if thats ok. To give an
example of how having moderation of one team can encourage participation
is the docs team. They have https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-doc as a
moderated team that has access to what gets uploaded to the repo. Then
they have https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc-contributors which is for
everyone. So to get into the main team they need to contribute a lot of
docs. So maybe to get into the QA team on launchpad people either have
to test a lot or bug triage a lot. I think this could be a nice way to
get more participation.

Regards
Shane Fagan