Future of Ubuntu QA team in Launchpad

Ara Pulido ara at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 21 12:56:42 UTC 2010

On 01/21/2010 04:56 AM, Stéphane Graber wrote:

> I agree with both Shane and Sense, the idea behind the Ubuntu QA team
> (as in, the Launchpad team) was to more clearly represent these who made
> major contributions to one of the sub-teams (testing, bugsquad,
> bugcontrol), helps managing that community (ISO testing, bug triaging,
> automation, ...) and is often present on IRC, ML and during the meetings
> to discuss QA issues.

I understand your point, Stéphane, but what you propose would be ideal,
if the QA team, as a whole, reaches a level of matureness that I think
it has not.

Right now, this team, as it is, is not maintained. There is a queue of
28 people to enter the team, and no answers on why they have been
accepted or rejected. Also, most of the team members were accepted
during the first month of this team's life, after that, membership
management hasn't exist.

Ideally, this team could be a good thing, but the truth is that, right
now, we don't have a group of people committed to tools and processes
that justify the moderation.

I think that it would be better to open the team and try to get as many
people as possible. If, in the end, this team appears naturally, with a
group of committed people who want to do more (get a presence in the
Technical Board, share tools, etc.) we can then create a team of "Ubuntu
QA Admin" (or whatever is called) when we reach that point.

But that's just my opinion, of course.

Cheers,
Ara.