Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit performance

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 01:16:13 UTC 2009

On Sunday 13 December 2009 8:00:10 pm Shane Fagan wrote:
> Good question,
> The problem with adobe flash is that its native 32bit being used in a
> 64bit browser. This isnt ideal and you get a lot of rendering issues and
> speed issues because of it. This will be solved by a native 64bit flash
> which is coming soonish. We dont have any benchmarks but it is a known
> issue. Its a problem that we cant fix because adobe flash is closed
> source.

Aside from the Flash thing though...my system did feel all around snappier
when I switched from 64 to 32 bit a few weeks ago.  And my 32bit system with
1GiB RAM doesn't swap anywhere near as much as my 64bit system with 2GiB did
(remedied by upgrading to 4GiB), even with the same workload.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo