Make Ubuntu Tweak as Power Users' Standard Tool

TualatriX tualatrix at gmail.com
Sun May 22 09:00:33 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

It's really cool to meet you guys here! I'm the author of Ubuntu
Tweak, from China.

First thank Evan and Jono who invited me to this mailing list. It's
very happy for me to be here. Since many of you recommend Ubuntu
Tweak, Thanks everyone!

Please let me give a short introduction about myself. I started
writing Ubuntu Tweak in September 2007, when I was at university. The
goal is simple: a tool to help people to make their Ubuntu life
easier. This is my first application, I can't imagine I have wrote it
for about 4 years! The blog of Ubuntu Tweak recorded every milestone
I've made (http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/ )

After years of development, Ubuntu Tweak is becoming more and more
powerful and popular, it has a lot of users now. We had tried to get
it into the official repository in the early days, but failed because
of the untrusted PPAs.

Now I'm developing the new 0.6 version with new looking and new
features, what's important, it will have a flexible plug-in system.

The creation of Power Users Community and the idea of "Ubuntu Kitchen
Sink" make me really exciting! I decided to adapt Ubuntu Tweak as a
community product and get it into the official repository.

To make it happen, I write a draft of things to be done:

* Separate the "Source Center" (untrusted PPAs) into a standalone
plug-in (or community extensions), which is not installed by default
but user can always install it. So Ubuntu Tweak is possible to put
into the official repository.
* Design the APIs to provide a common backup/restore system, a
consistent UI sets to build the configure interface, so everyone can
use it to write safety plug-in.
* Get help from this community, to make Ubuntu Tweak cover every
possible part to configure.

How about these plans?

Feel free to give your ideas and suggestions. Let's make it happen!