Ubuntu Tweak and Our Community

satchitb at gmail.com satchitb at gmail.com
Sat May 21 04:36:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Yesterday I posted
> http://www.jonobacon.org/2011/05/19/building-the-kitchen-sink/ to kick
> off the discussion about a unified configuration app, and a common piece
> of feedback was pointing out Ubuntu Tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/)
> which seems to satisfy a big chunk of the vision.
>
> I have invited the author of Ubuntu Tweak to join us here, which I hope
> he/she will do, and participate in this community as a means to bring
> additional value to both Ubuntu Tweak and Ubuntu in general.
>
> There are few ideas regarding this:
>
>      * Identify what needs to be done to get Ubuntu Tweak into the
>        Ubuntu Software Center.
>      * Discuss the non-trusted repository support built into Ubuntu
>        Tweak - my recommendation would be for it to be removed from the
>        app and to package additions to Ubuntu Tweak separately as
>        official packages in Universe.
>      * Identify what configuration modules need to be created for
>        Ubuntu Tweak and rally devs around that.
>
> So fingers crossed, Ubuntu Tweak could be a good start for the vision.
>
> Thoughts?
>
>        Jono
>
> --
> Jono Bacon
> Ubuntu Community Manager
> jono(at)ubuntu(dot)com
> www.ubuntu.com : www.jonobacon.org
> www.twitter.com/jonobacon : www.identi.ca/jonobacon

An excellent idea, but if I may direct attention away for a minute, we need
a clear set of guidelines on what goes into the Software Centre. Quality
applications like Deadbeef and Tweak are STILL not in there and Clementine
only recently got in, whereas Ohso's Volley Brawl was in at the moment of
its release. IIRC, there are also a number of outdated packages which aren't
maintained any more. I'm not doubting Volley Brawl's qualification in any
way whatsoever, but getting an application into the SC remains too
centralised a function.