[Ubuntu-pa] CIDETYS

Manuel Argüelles manuel.arguelles en gmail.com
Vie Ago 7 02:22:47 BST 2009

Hello Charles (and the rest),

The thing in University of Baja California is called CETYS, and I'm sure it
has nothing to do with CIDETYS... so what is CIDETYS?? it seems that no one
knows and this worries me a bit.

The only thing I could find about them was this:

http://www.osbr.ca/ojs/index.php/osbr/article/view/735/701

I will love to know where they get the funds for they salaries... According to
the site their goals are:

1. Push linux and computers to public schools in Panama, sounds nice, but we
all know this is not as easy at it sounds and will probably fail, it is not
just throw a bunch of pre-installed linux computers to them, you need to teach
the teachers... and this is almost impossible...

2. "Create a small and medium technology enterprise incubator. [...] It offers
facilities equipped with technology and experts to help entrepreneurs thrive
during the initial steps of creating a company. The technology includes
computers with Internet and business software, telephone and fax. The experts
include a lawyer, an economist and university professors with entrepreneurial
knowledge that can offer mentoring and advice." Here it is!! so new companies
give them some cash and they give "a computer with internet"... whatever that
means... business software... !? telephone, fax and a guy that will tell you
if your idea will, will not, may or may not be a success... how innovating!

3. "Organize workshops and conferences about grid computing and
telecommunication networks" ... another way to get some money, nothing more
obscure and mystical that grid computing and telecommunications...

And what does Panama say? "The opportunities to create projects that bring
social benefits are endless. CIDETYS is a noble initiative that has strong
support from the government, universities and technology centers in Panama and
international technology centers such as FUNDECYT in Spain. There is an
opportunity to bring together other initiatives around ICT's and OSS from
technology centers, companies and independent organizations in Panama, that
can find a common ground and collaborate through CIDETYS" ... What are they
selling? what a wonderful way to waste a paragraph without saying nothing.

My point is... this is an *International* NGO without a web site (!). They
probably do nothing, just search for naives entrepreneurs...

The first thing that raised the alarms on my head was the title... "The
International Center for Technological Development and Open Source Software"
what on heart does that means?? what technology they plan to develop? open
source?? already done (probably before they were even born), sorry... If we
take out the "Technological Development (or development of something technical
that we don't know yet... and may never know)" we have "International center
for open source software" Is this some kind of union for open source
developers? there's even something like that already... fsf.org...

For me this is nothing more than another scam, first was the .com heap
(remember the .com crisis) now is the turn for open source, everyone wants to
be part of it, even if they have no idea whatsoever about it... so lets all
inflate the bubble...

There's no way for an NGO, organization or anything like that to improve the
public education, only the government has the funds for this, they can load a
couple of schools with computers and open source software but sooner or later
that will let to nowhere.

This is a typical example of something that has a lot of icing but no cake at
all, technology, research, internet, telecommunications, entrepreneurs,
cluster computer, grid computer, information highway, consulting, bla bla
bla... where are the products? where are the real services? where are the
benefits? nonexistent!

Excuse me if I don't take this guys seriously at all... thanks for reading my
rant :p

--
Paco
http://p4c0.wordpress.com/