Posting to the ubuntu-np mailing list

nepbabu nepbabucxspamfree at yahoo.ca
Mon May 26 09:12:40 BST 2008

On Sunday, 25 May 2008 at  8:13:01 +0545, pramod giri wrote:
> i tried the media test and it ended up with 1 error while checking the
> integrity.
> 	and when i later tried to install again i faced some of the errors like:
> end request,I/O error,device sr0,sector 2565992
> Buffer I/O error on device sr0,logical block

sr0 is your CD/DVD drive btw. This could mean defective hardware (CD/DVD) or even worse.

> printk:1 messages suppressed
> SQUASHFS error:sb_bread failed
> SQUASHFS error:reading block 2565992
> error:unable to read page block 2956566

Sounds like hardware issue to me. Is your CD?DVD running OK or is the disc in good state?

> well these were some of the errors.and when i hanged up for 10-15
> minutes it displays a busybox,which is like a terminal.
>     and during the installation it didn't even ask for partition and

If it didn't ask for partition during install (and you're sure you didn't miss it), then I think you didn't install Ubuntu at all or installed it improprely or is this livecd?

> when i restarted later i could find a option representating ubuntu and
> windows(Boot selection window).i tried it but it is all the same the
> busybox terminal.

That boot selection window is called Grub. It gets you to busybox shell which means it probably doesn't find initramfs image or can't mount some stuffs (initramfs contains boot-time info that is vital)

> and all i find is a command line interface.please get me out of this.
>  i'm very much excited to install ubuntu as fast as i can

Try these :
 - Google first with the partial errors ('end request, I/O error, device ....' as the search query)
 - try removing some kernel parameters from your Grub (remove 'splash' and all those crap. leave only 'quiet' there if there is such option. if not, just chuck it in)  and watch those error messages. the reasoning is to get to see what is making those error messages pump out and drops you to busybox shell. ;)
 - I am guessing you aren't mouting properly and so can't mount the ramfs.

Ping back if you can't get it working. also there are some people on #ubuntu-np at irc.freenode.net if you need help. I myself am quiete busy so I can't be of much help except this list from time to time.

cheers