[ubuntu-mythtv] I want to contribute to mythbuntu

Angel Abad angelabad at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 3 17:24:05 BST 2010

2010/10/3 Mario Limonciello <superm1 at ubuntu.com>:
> Hi Angel:

Hi, Mario,

> Hope you don't mind, but i'm going to CC ubuntu-mythtv ML too in case any
> other people who have been idling by want to perk up and help out too.

Obviously no problem... I subscribed to ML.

> Do you use IRC?  If so, all of the people contribute as developers hang out
> in #ubuntu-mythtv-dev.  Come on by!

Ok, I will add the mythbuntu room to my autoconnect list.

> In any case take a gander over
> at http://mythbuntu.org/gettinginvolved and http://mythbuntu.org/wiki/developer-cheatsheet for
> more information about how all our packaging works.

I already read this webpages...

> At this point I think we need the most help trying to cleanup, triage and
> fix old bugs that there just hasn't been time for with the rapid Ubuntu
> cycle and having to work on keeping other parts of the system compatible.
>  Personally it's been a long battle for me with LIRC and Ubiquity - every
> cycle that's what a majority of my time has gone towards.

I would help with bug triagind, also y will like to apply for bug
control group, so I think this is a good task for me. Sincerely with
ubiquity and LIRC at the moment I cant help you.

> If you really want to work on packaging - there is a complex task that I
> started that you can pick up and finish for natty.  We're trying to merge
> the mythtv, mythplugins, and myththemes source packages into a single source
> package.  The primary reason for doing this is that the PPAs used for
> autobuilds sometimes get backed up so if there are changes 2 days in a row,
> mythplugins might never get built.
> We checkout from svn anyway, so it's primary difference is rather than just
> checkout one branch, check out all 3 in the orig.tar.gz and then build them
> in order.  The problem is that mythplugins expects mythtv-dev to already be
> installed which isn't exactly possible when doing a build like this.
>  Consequently, it requires some hackery and patches to be written to make
> this happen.  If you're interested, i'll push what i've got so far to bzr
> and you are more than welcome to pick it up.

Ooops, what a mess!! At the first I will try to fix some bugs and/or
lintian reports clean in simple packages like mythexport and slowly
getting familiarized with mythbuntu packaging team....

When Im a bit familiarized I will try to contribute to fix this mess.

> Being a Debian maintainer, would you consider trying to help get some of the
> applicable pieces into Debian?  Our current operational model has been
> directly in Ubuntu for a lot of our packages as we have several developers
> to easily upload to Ubuntu.  If you could help with getting things in
> Debian, we can try to benefit more of the community as a whole.

Ok, I think this is my first site. Im in Debian Developer process... I
would like to integrate mythbuntu work in debian, but, what is the
preference to introduce packages in Debian? Also, I think there will
be some problems with non-free packages, but we work together to solve
this issues.... Christian Marillat[1] provides non official Mythtv
Debian packages in a good shape. Probably we would offer him to work
together to make posibly mythtv and mythbuntu changes into Debian.
When Im a bit familiarized I can track this contact an work for a good
understanding between the groups.

Thanks for your quick response!

Best Regards,

[1] http://www.debian-multimedia.org/