[ubuntu-mythtv] Upgrade problem going to 10.10 with X

Jason jason at wkrp.com
Mon Oct 11 23:28:44 BST 2010

  I went from mythbuntu 8 (I think that was it) to 10.4 on my backend
with no problems.  Then I upgraded my front end and had an error with
grub that I couldn't get past.  No biggie I just reinstalled with the
disk.  Not thinking I grabbed the 10.10 download.  So flash forward my
backend then didn't work with the front end because of the mythtv
versions.  So then I moved the backend to version 10.10.

During that upgrade I got the error message:

Couldn't configure pre-depend x11-common for x11-xkb-utils, probably a
dependency cycle.

I read this is the fix for that:

sudo apt-get remove x11-xkb-utils

That let me get past the error and install the 10.10 update.

Now after upgrading my backend won't start up X.  I can watch TV from
the front end so it's not a huge problem but I would like to fix the
backend obviously so I can watch TV from there.

How do I get the x-windows interface back to the way it normally is with
mythbuntu / auto login and such?

I did try reinstalling that x11-xkb-utils but it didn't help.  As well
as xubuntu-desktop.

Thank you,

Jason Portwood
jason at wkrp.com