[ubuntu-mythtv] Fwd: [mythtv] Feature Freeze (for 0.22)

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 21 18:45:10 BST 2009

Hi Marc:

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 12:04, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> Looks like the myth devs have set a high bar for themselves regarding
> the release of 0.22 (see below).  Karmic's beta freeze date is Sept
> 24th, just over a month away.  Release is another month after that.
> Despite all the upstream activity on trunk, the bug count has remained
> pretty flat for the past 6 weeks at ~170.
>
> As 0.21 was winding down, I started keeping stats... here they are for
> comparison:
>
> 0.21 Branch creation date: 2008-02-12
> (http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/15931)
> 0.21 bugs at branch date : 58
> 0.21 release date: 2008-03-08 (http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/16468)
> 0.21 bugs at release date: 15
>
> So, they branched about a month before release, and at branch time
> they had 1/3 the current ticket count.  Obviously they can drive the
> current ticket count down by pushing them out to 0.23, and the vast
> majority are listed as minor, but that assumes the bug arrival rate
> starts dropping.  0.22 branch is not been created yet.
>
> If we assume the worst case (that they don't release 0.22 until after
> 9.10 ships), should Karmic be released with 0.22 anyway?

So builds are already uploaded to Karmic for 0.22 prerelease...

I believe this to be an unlikely scenario, but if it does work out this way
yes we'll release with 0.22 prerelease and have to update to the full
version later.  All the more reason for more people to help out with getting
bugs found early and hep upstream fix them and triage if you have the
abilities.

If so, will
> Mythbuntu use one of the stock 0.22 themes, or is someone going to do
> a Mythbuntu theme (perhaps based upon one of the myth supplied ones?).

Gary Butters is doing some work do move the Mythbuntu theme to 0.22
compliance.  Dave Walker is trying to get all of the 0.22 themes that are
upstream into their own set of packages.

>  Or should Karmic go the safe route and stay on 0.21 since it is ultra
> stable?  Or is there a way to release both?  My main concern is not
> knowing how stable 0.22 will be so soon after upstream releases it
> (I'm thinking of the people that will be upgrading with a simple click
> of the mouse, and don't run [or even know about] weekly fixes).

It's not possible to release both with the common package names currently.
Unless there are some major show stopper bugs that force us to go back to
0.21 we're planning 0.22.  I'd rather not add an epoch to the package
versions.

> Last question: do we need to get upstream approval to release
> something to end-users that they have not released themselves?

I wouldn't say we need upstream approval, but we'll plan to get updated to
the released version some way or another, SRUs, backports etc if necessary.

>   Marc

Mario Limonciello
superm1 at gmail.com
Sent from Manchester, New Hampshire, United States