Please do not tell people interested in working on Qt/KDE?apps?in Universe #ubuntu-motu is the wrong channel

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Jun 18 14:07:36 BST 2010

On Thursday, June 17, 2010 05:24:08 pm Michael Bienia wrote:
> On 2010-06-17 16:58:12 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > >
> > >Do you have some examples of such deferrals? I've checked my DMB mailbox
> > >with the applications mails and didn't see a MOTU application where I
> > >remember deferring it because of too much KDE stuff.
> >
> > I don't recall who it was, but just before the most recent UDS someone
> > got deferred and one of the DMB members sited too much KDE on IRC in
> > their rationale. The person in question later got MOTU, so the impact
> > was only temporary.
>
> I only remember a core-dev application in the very recent past from a
> kubuntu-dev member where the voting was pretty tight (and got deferred
> until the absent DMB member voted per mail). It was hard for me to
> decide how I vote on this. It wasn't about the skills nor that the
> person worked mostly on KDE packages but the rationale for the core-dev
> application which was in my opinion for the wrong reasons. He applied
> for core-dev to get upload permissions for some "core" KDE packages
> which weren't part of the kubuntu package set at that time. And I
> preferred to fix this short-comings instead of working around it. With
> a different (better) rationale for the core-dev application, I'd have
> vote +1 but with this rationale I only vote +0. Some other DMB members
> also preferred to fix it instead of working around the problem.

That wasn't the case.

I looked it up and it was
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChristianMangold/MOTUDeveloperApplication

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/04/27/%23ubuntu-meeting.html

Specifically, he was told by a DMB member that MOTU is for generalists and he
should apply to kubuntu-dev instead.  This is exactly what lead to the move to
create a separate package set for Qt/KDE Universe packages.  Since it appeared
at the time that working on those packages was not considered appropriate
experience for MOTU, the only way to gain upload rights (short of kubuntu-dev,
which being at the core of a distro has more requirements than MOTU) for those
packages would be to split them out.

I was against it at the time, but now I'm not so sure.  There are multiple
people who work on Qt/KDE stuff who see a problem, but no one else does.  It
may be that the only solution is to just split them out.

Scott K