Please do not tell people interested in working on Qt/KDE?apps?in Universe #ubuntu-motu is the wrong channel

Michael Bienia michael at bienia.de
Fri Jun 18 14:46:25 BST 2010

On 2010-06-18 09:07:36 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I looked it up and it was
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChristianMangold/MOTUDeveloperApplication
>
> http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/04/27/%23ubuntu-meeting.html
>
> Specifically, he was told by a DMB member that MOTU is for generalists and he
> should apply to kubuntu-dev instead.  This is exactly what lead to the move to
> create a separate package set for Qt/KDE Universe packages.  Since it appeared
> at the time that working on those packages was not considered appropriate
> experience for MOTU, the only way to gain upload rights (short of kubuntu-dev,
> which being at the core of a distro has more requirements than MOTU) for those
> packages would be to split them out.
>
> I was against it at the time, but now I'm not so sure.  There are multiple
> people who work on Qt/KDE stuff who see a problem, but no one else does.  It
> may be that the only solution is to just split them out.

Re-reading this again, I seem to have an misunderstanding what the kubuntu
package set really is and where its "limits" are (is there some verbal
description of it (and the other package sets too)?). From a look at the
related packages on Christian's LP page I assumed that most of them
belong to the kubuntu package set. Isn't this the case? Given that we
all are pretty new to delegated teams, I see it appropiate to ask if an
other delegated team suites one owns interests better. Provided that the
understanding of the purpose of a package set and the packages the
applicant prefers to work on matches.

To get to a better common understanding: is someone working mostly on
KDE packages better suited for MOTU or kubuntu-dev? And where would you
draw the line?

Michael