Please do not tell people interested in working on Qt/KDE?apps?in Universe #ubuntu-motu is the wrong channel

Michael Bienia michael at bienia.de
Thu Jun 17 22:24:08 BST 2010

On 2010-06-17 16:58:12 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> "Michael Bienia" <michael at bienia.de> wrote:
>
> >On 2010-06-17 15:28:26 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >> This is pretty close to the UDS discussion. A number of Kubuntu people
> >> wanted a separate package set because, specifically, of people who
> >> focused on these packages getting deferred from MOTU because the had
> >> worked too much on KDE stuff.
> >
> >Do you have some examples of such deferrals? I've checked my DMB mailbox
> >with the applications mails and didn't see a MOTU application where I
> >remember deferring it because of too much KDE stuff.
> >

> I don't recall who it was, but just before the most recent UDS someone
> got deferred and one of the DMB members sited too much KDE on IRC in
> their rationale. The person in question later got MOTU, so the impact
> was only temporary.

I only remember a core-dev application in the very recent past from a
kubuntu-dev member where the voting was pretty tight (and got deferred
until the absent DMB member voted per mail). It was hard for me to
decide how I vote on this. It wasn't about the skills nor that the
person worked mostly on KDE packages but the rationale for the core-dev
application which was in my opinion for the wrong reasons. He applied
for core-dev to get upload permissions for some "core" KDE packages
which weren't part of the kubuntu package set at that time. And I
preferred to fix this short-comings instead of working around it. With
a different (better) rationale for the core-dev application, I'd have
vote +1 but with this rationale I only vote +0. Some other DMB members
also preferred to fix it instead of working around the problem.

Michael