Make ~ubuntu-dev a member of ubuntu-universe-sponsors?

Andrew a.starr.b at gmail.com
Wed May 13 20:27:32 BST 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 2:05 PM, James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 13:33 -0400, Andrew wrote:
>> I'm not necessarily saying this shouldn't be done, but I do see one
>> potential issue for contributors looking for sponsors. Making all of
>> ~ubuntu-dev part of ~ubuntu-universe-sponsors can cause a bit of
>> confusion as to what hat people are wearing at the time when
>> commenting on a bug. While anyone with upload rights can potentially
>> sponsor an upload, it's useful for contributors to know if they are
>> dealing with someone specifically interested in sponsoring their
>> upload or some one just making a drive by comment on the bug.
>
> I'm not sure I see the difference between the two use cases. Would
> you behave differently depending on whether someone is in ~ubuntu-dev
> and ~uus, or just ~ubuntu-dev?

Honestly it doesn't really change my workflow. I just find it to be
useful information. Like I said, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done,
just bringing up a point.

> The people in ~uus are just those that sponsor regularly (though it's
> only syncs where being in the team usually matters, and even then not
> that much), but I am worried that the small hurdle of joining the extra
> team puts people off sponsoring, and so reinforces that.

Couldn't part of this issue be resolved by making it a Moderated team
as opposed to a Restricted one? Sure some people might request to join
not understanding what the team really is, but if it were simply
Moderated when any MOTU requests joining an admin could quickly add
them instead of having to hunt down an admin and asking them to send
an invite.

- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio