Version of rubygems is so old that it causes troubles

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Wed Mar 18 18:33:18 GMT 2009

On 17/03/09 at 23:13 +0200, Vesa Vilhonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rubygems available from the intrepid repository has so old version

Rubygems release dates:
2008-06-21 => 1.2.0
2008-09-25 => 1.3.0
2008-10-28 => 1.3.1

So, it's about as recent as all other software packages in Ubuntu
intrepid.

> that some gems won't install with it

That's a problem. Rubygems developers are so bad at providing backward
compatibility that some newer gems can't install with a version of the
packaging system released less than a year ago.

> and it has been crippled from updating itself.

That's your problem :-)

> 1.3.1 is the latest version available. Please let me know if I
> can help with this.

It should be possible to provide a -backports package for 1.3.1. (it's
already available in debian experimental)
--
| lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas at nussbaum.fr             GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |