Maintainer/XSBC-Original-Maintainer in Ubuntu packages

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Sun Jun 14 19:21:21 BST 2009

On 12/06/2009, at 23.05, Luca Falavigna wrote:

> Morten Kjeldgaard <mok at bioxray.au.dk> ha scritto:
>> Maintainer: Morten Kjeldgaard (https://launchpad.net/~mok0)
>
> Soyuz would complain about wrong email address format and reject
> upload.

I realize that Soyuz at the moment probably would not accept a URL.
However, it DOES recognize various email addresses and translate those
to Launchpad teams or people. I have put my ubuntu.com address in the
maintainer field of a few packages, and Soyuz actually translate those
to my Launchpad homepage. I am proposing something similar, it could
also be a "pseudo-email-address" (e.g. "mok0 at launchpad.net"). I am
sure the nice Launchpad developers would repond favourably if we asked
them politely via lp-liason.

> Not exactly. For each package uploaded, Launchpad UI displays two
> fields, "Uploaded by" and "Maintainer", so users have two contacts to
> send requests to in case it is needed. We cannot assume users know our
> policies, give them references is a win-win choice. "Uploaded by"
> would
> probably be the "real maintainer" of the package, so users could
> contact a person interested in package anyway.

There will still be two fields, one for MOTU and one for the packager,
exactly like now, only the packager's field would not be his/her
private email, but a link to their Launchpad account. PLUS the
packager would automatiically be subscribed to bugmail of the package.

> What you want could be addressed using a pseudo-header (I invent a
> name
> for it: XSBC-Ubuntu-Maintainer), but I think we should not introduce
> the concept of maintainership in Ubuntu. MOTUs and contributors are
> responsible at a whole about the packages in universe and multiverse,
> enabling some sense of ownership makes people less prone to fix things
> in a package they see as a "do-not-touch-my-stuff" thing.

I also don't think we should have a concept of maintainership like
they do in Debian. However, there are people -- both packagers and
MOTUs who in practice do maintain some packages anyway, in the sense
that they make sure bugs get fixed, new upstream versions get
packaged, and they communicate with upstream. The latter is especially
important when it comes to Ubuntu-only packages, since it is both more
practical and more polite that we have a single contact person
communicating with upstream, rather than a lot of different drive-by
bugfixers who don't know the software and the package in detail.

So IF there is an Ubuntu member who wants to care for a package, I
don't see why it should be forbidden. Perhaps that could be signalled
with an XSBC-Ubuntu-Maintainer: field like you suggest, but it is
another discussion than this one (which basically only is that
packagers have to put their Launchpad-Id in debian/control rather than
their private email address).

Cheers,
Morten